Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Developing My Personal Game Plan

Developing My Personal Game Plan


After reading the National Education Technology Standards for Teachers, I knew immediately which indicators I was comfortable with and which I was not. As of about three years ago, I began feeling uncomfortable with my teaching strategies, and knew I needed to make some serious changes. As new teachers were being hired, they brought with them to the table much computer knowledge. Many of them knew how to use Smart Boards and other technological tools as well as being able to navigate the internet with ease. I knew I needed to hitch a ride on this bandwagon, and I vowed to learn all I could in the way of integrating technology into my classroom. The time had come for change and it was screaming to me loud and clear.

I finally made the plunge, and signed up for graduate school excited to learn how to teach my students new and innovative strategies for reading and writing, and to also tackle learning some valuable technology tools. Since the whole idea with learning anything new is to set up a GAME plan first by establishing goals (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 85) then that is what I need to do. One goal of mine is to learn how to utilize digital storytelling. This technological tool would prove extremely valuable to my students and me. “As with other mindtools, digital stories enable learners to reflect, represent, and communicate what they know” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 67). One aspect that attracts me about digital story telling is how they must have “themes to which viewers must relate” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 67) and how the writing genre is a personal narrative that has a hook to capture the viewer’s attention immediately. Students go through a series of steps to create their digital story, and this allows them to become self-directed learners.

One deterrent that keeps delaying me from pursuing learning more technology tools is the constant worry of students using the internet safely. I have mentioned this a few times before, and I will say it again, but I do worry about those few students who will do something unethical or illegal on the internet jeopardizing their safety as well as others’ safety. There were students in my school that cyber-bullied two female students of mine on Facebook. Many of my students do not yet comprehend how to properly cite other peoples’ work. I am actually teaching this currently, and we had a lesson on paraphrasing and summarizing two weeks ago, but I just glazed over the tip of the iceberg with them, so I am still apprehensive about what they might do when it came to citing and giving credit where credit is due.

The first goal I would like to work on would be:

2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments

a. design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity

Goals: become more knowledgeable with all the aspects of digital storytelling, so I can teach the steps to my students with confidence.

Take Action: Collaborate with my fellow teachers who have used digital storytelling with their students and attend workshops when they are offered, and setting time aside to experiment with it myself.

Monitor: track my progress as to how long it takes me to grasp the concepts; set time aside to learn and teach myself and then abide by my timeframe.

Evaluate and Extend: I will reflect on my accomplishments and ask my colleagues for valuable feedback and I will ask them to offer suggestions where I am lacking.

4. Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility

a. advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources.

Goal: Be able to model for my students the correct way to conduct themselves when they go online, and also model the appropriate way to cite other peoples’ work.

Take Action: Work with colleagues to ascertain that we are all on the same page as far as ethical practices go; consult head of technology to make sure I have all my I’s dotted and t’s crossed.

Monitor: Keep up-to-date on the legal aspect of what is and is not ethical; check in with my students whenever I can to make sure they are using the internet properly

Evaluate and Extend: If students are making progress and acting appropriately online and are citing correctly, I will move on to teaching a new tool. I will reach out to my colleagues and we will meet to discuss the advantages and the pitfalls and we will make adjustments for our department and even extend to other departments if need be.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2011). NETS for teachers 2008. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers/nets-for -teachers-2008.aspx

6 comments:

  1. Roxanne,

    Digital storytelling would be a great tool to use with your students to bring out their creativity in learning new content. I think the action that you will take in this goal should definitely include you experimenting with digital storytelling. If you were to create a digital story yourself, then you will become more knowledgeable and confident in using it and teaching the components of it to your students. Believing that digital story telling is going to benefit your students and their learning and working with your colleagues to gain support will also help you to achieve your goals. This is all part of effectively integrating technology in your classroom. You have a great GAME plan set for the use of digital story telling!

    Promoting and modeling digital citizenship is also a goal that I wanted to become proficient in. A way to show students the correct ways of using technology is definitely to model it on a daily basis and using think aloud but also teaching it to them possibly through a PowerPoint lesson. I think educators need to stress the importance of ethical practices and copyright laws. You have a good action plan on consulting with your school’s technology head. Does your school have any policies drafted for students and parents regarding technology use? If you have any other ideas on action plans for this goal, please share them with me.

    HanNa Chung

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roxanne,

    I also feel that digital storytelling will be a great addition to your lesson. When utilizing any of the new technology tools, practice makes perfect.

    I can relate to you apprehension about whether or not your students will be responsible and demonstrate safe actions when using the internet. We recently had a student transfer out of our school because she created fake profiles for people. Students are very internet savvy and it can be scary. One way you can also monitor your second goal would be to randomly check posts to see if they are being responsible. You may even want to have them create examples of unsafe or inapropriate uses on the internet as well as have them research the consequences for that behavior. They may ask administration or even do research to find out how unsafe use of technology can effect their peers on an emotional level.

    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxanne,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. I want to learn more about digital storytelling as well. This might be one of the best ways English teachers can reach their students. I look forward to learning more about it in this class. Furthermore, I like your GAME plan for learning about digital storytelling and read it with the hopes of adopting it for my own. However, I don’t have any colleagues! I am the only high school English teacher at my school, and the other teachers are not using this technology. Oh well!

    I like your GAME plan for promoting and modeling digital citizenship and responsibility. The biggest issue I have with this at my school is with students who cut and paste information from the Internet without citing it properly. It sounds like you have the same problem. The way I am dealing with it is by giving students who plagiarize in this way a zero for the assignment.

    Good luck with your goals!

    Russell Dysart

    ReplyDelete
  4. HanNa,

    I agree with you; I definitely must experiment with digital storytelling before I even think about implementing this tool with my ninth graders. I am going to take your advice and create a digital story myself first, hopefully over the summer. I need to play around with this technology tool because there is a lot to it, but I think it would truly behoove me to be able to teach my students how to utilize digital storytelling to learn the content. Thanks for your advice!

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlene,

    I’m glad I am not the only one who is a bit apprehensive about students being responsible when it comes to internet etiquette! Wow! A student in your school actually made up fake profiles for other students! My students just read an article on this very thing two weeks ago! I guess I can’t say I’m surprised, but sometimes it just makes me shake my head when I hear or witness what some of these kids do regarding bullying on the internet. It truly is scary. I am going to make a mental note of what you said about randomly monitoring my students’ posts. It still worries me though. Thanks for the great suggestion of having them create examples of unsafe or inappropriate uses on the internet. Having them research the consequences is also a smart idea! Thanks for your insight.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Russell,

    I agree with you; digital storytelling would be a terrific way for us to reach our students. It is an authentic activity and would truly hook them and enable them to have fun while learning the content. I hope we learn more about it in this class as well, but unlike you, I do have a few colleagues that either are well versed in implementing digital storytelling, or have at least, dabbled with it. I have one teacher in my building; he teaches Speech and Drama, and then there are three other English teachers in the main building who know it well. My problem is basically a time factor-I have no free time! I was telling HanNa that I will most likely try my hand at digital storytelling this summer. We could always keep in touch, and I could monitor your progress through what I have experienced and through what my fellow colleagues tell me.

    As far as modeling digital citizenship, yes I do have this very problem-students cutting and pasting without citing the information they found. I work on trying to control this all year long. Our supervisor does not like us issuing a zero for this assignment; she thinks the student should be allowed to fix it and receive a lower grade. We had some incidents in the beginning of the school year, and parents were extremely upset over the fact that their “honor” student received a zero on a major writing assessment. The students really need to understand that this is a form of stealing, really. Somehow, many of them just don’t get it. Thanks for your feedback!

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete